It’s official: it’s cold outside!
The holidays have passed and you’re back to the grinding stone. There are no more festive parties to look forward to and the remnants of the joyous season can be seen on your credit card bills. What to do? While other animals are snug and cozy enjoying their hibernation, we’re forced to work our way through the freezing temperatures one day at a time. So… how do you stay warm, healthy, and happy when January has you blue?
- Think technology! And think simple. At-home fitness is the new fad, and there is very little reason to not get on board. Exercising at home can save you time and money. Not to mention keep those pesky winter pounds from creeping on. Here are a few favorites:
- Nintendo Wii Fit & Wii games: Not just for the kiddies! Interactive and fun, the Wii system is designed to keep you moving and burning calories all in the privacy of your own home.
- Xbox Kinect: Jump, dance, and move fit! The Xbox Kinect takes at-home fitness to a whole new level. No controllers required, just chose your game or fitness program and get moving.
- P90X: With dumbbells or resistance bands, a pull-up bar, and one hour a day, you too can get in shape in just 90 days. Designed around the theory of muscle confusion, P90X keeps its participants challenged and sweaty
- Exercise TV on Demand: Time Warner Cable’s solution to at-home fitness. Choose from a variety of free programming all day, every day. Channels range from beginner to advanced and include everything from Zumba to Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred and Yoga. There is absolutely something for everyone.
- Not interested in television? Not to worry! Try these simple at-home exercises to keep your muscles toned. Aim for 2 sets of 15 repetitions, three days a week:
- Dips on a chair
- Wall push-ups
- Squats over a chair
- Calf raises on a step
- Abdominal curls
- Yoga Plank
Or check out GoodHouseKeeping.com for other at-home workout ideas.
- Get plenty of rest – but don’t oversleep! It’s easy to do on these cold, gray days. Too much sleep will leave you feeling groggy. Do yourself a favor and limit the number of times you hit the snooze!
- Drink water! The bitter temps. wreak havoc on your skin. Plus, water is the number one weight loss trick out there! Keep your body hydrated, your skin soft, and the pounds from adding up simply by sipping!
- Wash your hands! Colds, flu, and other germs run rampant in the winter. Keep yourself healthy by frequently washing with hot, soapy water for 20 seconds!
- Need to warm up? Try a cup of herbal tea or sugar-free cocoa. For snacks, try oatmeal with brown sugar (better yet, brown sugar Splenda).
- Rely on fresh frozen fruits and veggies to get your much-needed intake of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Bundle up and get outside! Think layers and hustle! You’ll be amazed how quickly your body heats up when you’ve dressed appropriately and moved at a good pace. Plus, your body burns more calories in the winter than in summer, so get outdoors and get moving!
- Walk the dog. Have kids? Make it a family affair. Just because it’s chilly and darker than usual doesn’t mean the family pooch couldn’t use a nice walk too. A brisk walk after dinner will leave the whole family feeling energized.
10.Think spring! Now think about how much happier you’ll be when you’ve maintained your routine all winter long! No last-minute diets or exercise marathons for you…you’ve been busy keeping fit all winter long!Read More